Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Thoughts on The Book of Job.

The Book of Job is an important literary document which is studied. Two ideas make an impression on me. One is on Job's exclamation, "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return there." The word, "there", suggests that he sees God, as both his father and mother. Another idea, which comes to mind, is that he loves God for God's sake, and no other reason. I see many parallels to Hinduism in this ancient document. The ideal of submission to the will of God, finds a parallel to the faith of Islam. The main idea which comes to mind, is that just as we judge happenings, others also judge them, and we are reminded that opinions, when they are due to a dependence on them, are very fallible. However, this text is fascinating, as it gives an insight into the mature consciousness of the people of the ancient world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home