Sunday, May 18, 2008

Thoughts on The Prologue to The Canterbury Tales.

In my opinion, Chaucer was very humorous while dealing with the subject of the many characters of the work mentioned in the heading. However, if society at that time had looked at it's workings more sympathetically, then the situation might have improved then. This holds true of Chaucer's observations, too. There were good Peers like the Duke of Lancaster, but there was growing dissatisfaction among the general population, during the time of Chaucer. Those who were dissatisfied, were the cause of their own dissatisfaction. These included members of the Peerage, and it percolated down to the other people. Perhaps, with common good sense, the Deadly Plague, and the peasants revolt, may have been averted. But the good sense had to be exercised by all. What I had wanted to express in this piece, was that the Saints of Christianity, were perhaps only there to be looked up to. Chaucer is critical, but there he stops short. Did society, even during The Middle Age, feel that Christianity was too great an ideal to follow for the common man? Perhaps, it is not for me to say, but one does not live an ideal, because ideals are imaginations of situations, which one may not see oneself a part of. One has the ideal in mind, but one does not get demoralized having the ideal in mind. One does not know what bend the great work of Chaucer was to take later, as it is incomplete, but these are a few of the expressions of my thought, which I have recorded. I hope I have not been very eager in my expressions, and offended in my eagerness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home